Energy Performance Certificates

What is an EPC?

An Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) gives information on how to make your home more energy efficient and reduce your energy costs. All homes bought, sold or rented require an EPC, and to claim the highest rate of the feed in tariff for Solar PV (currently at 16p) an EPC at a level D or above must be included in the application.

What will my EPC tell me?

  • Information on your homes Energy use and typical energy costs
  • A recommendation report with suggestions to reduce energy use and save money
  • Details of the person who carried out the EPC assessment

Energy Use and Potential Savings

EPCs carry ratings that compare current energy efficiency and estimated costs of energy use, with potential figures that your home could achieve. Potential figures are calculated by estimating what the energy efficiency and energy costs could be if energy saving measures was put in place in the property.

The ratings measure the energy efficiency of your home using a grade from 'A' to 'G'. An 'A' is the most efficient and 'G' the least.

The average efficiency grade to date is a 'D' rating. This is the rate that is required for the Feed In Tariffs highest payment.

All homes are measured using the same calculations, so you can compare the energy efficiency of different properties.

The Recommendation Report

EPCs also provide a detailed recommendation report showing how you could reduce the amount of energy you use and your CO2 emissions. The report lists:

  • Suggested improvements for the property such as fitting loft insulation
  • Possible cost savings per year if the improvements suggested are carried out on the property
  • How the recommendations would change the energy efficiency of the property
  • Which improvements may be eligible for funding through ‘The Green Deal’.

You do not have to act on the recommendations suggested in the recommendation report. However if you do decide to do so, it could make the property more attractive for sale or rental purposes by making it more energy efficient.

EPCs must be carried out by an accredited DEA (Domestic Energy Assessor) who will have done all appropriate courses to become accredited. The EPC on that property will be valid for a 10 year period.

Here at Green Energy Generation Limited, we have the ability to be able to carry out an EPC assessment on your property, help you with any of the recommendations if you wish to proceed and give you your Energy Performance Certificate for a small fee.

So which buildings require an EPC?

An EPC is required when a building is built, rented or sold. A building is defined as a structure with a roof and walls which is used to 'condition an indoor climate'. This means it has heating, air conditioning or mechanical ventilation. The building can either be a whole building or part of a building that has been designed or altered to be used separately. If a building is made up of separate units each with their own heating system then each unit within that building will require an EPC.

Which buildings don't require an EPC?

The following buildings don't require an EPC:

  • Places of worship
  • Listed buildings
  • Temporary buildings used for less than 2 years
  • Holiday accommodation that is rented out for less than 4 months in the year
  • Industrial sites, workshops and non residential agricultural buildings
  • A standalone building with total useful floor area of less than 50m² not for living accommodation for a single household.

EPCs within the Green Deal

The Green Deal is due to launch in October 2012. It may be able to help you make the property you live in warmer, more energy efficient and cheaper to run, without having to pay anything up front (see Green Deal page for more information).

You choose which eligible energy saving improvements you want to make to your home, using the recommended amendments on your EPC by your DEA, which once the works are complete, you then pay back over time on your electricity bill, at a level no greater than the estimated savings to the energy bills. (See the Green Deal Golden Rule section on the Green Deal Page).

You can apply for the Green Deal whether you’re a tenant or owner and you may be eligible for extra help if your household gets income related benefits.

To get an EPC rating on your property call Green Energy Generation Limited NOW and we will send out one of our own Domestic Energy Assessors to survey your home and see what improvements could give YOU a more energy efficient home!

If you would like to enquire about Energy Performance Certificates, please call us on 01670 828695 (Northumberland), or 01751 432096 (Yorkshire).

mcs energy saving trust RECC benchmark decc
Green Energy Generation Limited.
Telephone: 01670 828695 (Northumberland) / 01751 432096 (North Yorkshire). Email:

Registered in England. Company number: 07178570
Registered address: Front Street, Bebside, Blyth, Northumberland, NE24 4HP.

Website design & development by Beach Design.
Thanks for visiting, but your browser seems to be a bit out of date which means you may not be able to access a lot of the features on modern websites. Why not get up to date with one of these? Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome?